Sunday, September 12, 2010

2010 Gothic Arches #18 - Flowers

Hi everyone!

Todays theme for the Inkurable Stampers 2010 Gothic Arches challenge is flowers - and this is my sample. This brings us back up to date, so it will be another 2 weeks before there is another theme revealed! How are your arches going? There is plenty of time to catch up - it's been great seeing your arches in the dedicated Flickr group :) The original details of the year long challenge can be found here, and you have still got time to play along :)

I die cut heaps of flowers, and stamped them in archival ink (black) with the quotes from each of the stamp sets. I then coloured the reverse side of the flowers in distress inks (one colour per flower). The flowers are made similar to the method Tim Holtz uses, however, I started from the inner part, and as I wanted to add an extra layer, I just wrapped it around and glued it with dimensional magic layer by layer. Once dry, I cut down the waste on the back so my flowers weren’t too tall. They were still too tall, so to disguise it, I decided to make my arch a recessed window.


If you have never made a recessed window, you can check out this tutorial from Splitcoast Stampers to see how to make a basic square recessed window. I have used the same principal, except my window is only 1/8th inch deep, and I had to sketch the fold and cut lines myself to make it fit the arch shape perfectly. Also, because of the extra pressure of the curves, I attached my external flaps underneath my arch base, then adhered another arch base to lock those external flaps securely in place.


I made the sign with a piece of scrap and the secret garden stamp from the Paper Artsy set, distressed the edges and dragged the edges through black ink. The frame was coloured and the sign attached to the frame before folding and attaching in place. The edges of the frame were dragged with black versacolor ink, and the internal flat layer (to help the recessed part stay in place) was coloured to match the frame and outlined along its edge in black marker. The flowers and leaves were hot glued randomly in the recessed window (ok, so I did lay it out to make sure I was happy with the randomness... lol) and the butterflies and dragonfly were attached with dimensional magic.

And here are the products I used:

Stamps - Hero Arts Friends Definition
- Darkroom Door Artist
- Paper Artsy Hot Picks #1006
- Paper Artsy Pierrot #4
- Tim Holtz Lost & Found
Distress Inks – Peeled Paint, Fired Brick, Stormy Sky
Black Archival Ink
Black Versacolor Ink
White Bazzill Cardstock
Tim Holtz Alteration Die - flower
Charms, Dimensional Magic, hot glue, black brads, edge distresser

I hope to see some some of your interpretations on this theme really soon!

Fiona
xx

3 comments:

Jenxo said...

i love how youve made this, really clever and pretty...

Be(e) said...

What a fabulous arch, Fiona!!! Truly a work of art!!!

Mod Podge Amy said...

This is beautiful!