Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Pocket Scroll Travel Journal

I am not a journal keeper.  I have often wished I was.  I came across a pocket scroll fabric travel journal in Issue 31 of Cloth.Paper.Scissors magazine by Leilani Pierson, and thought this might be a convenient and not-so-threatening journal to take on holidays with me.


I didn't have all the ingredients called for in the instructions, and given it was Christmas Eve, I just chucked together what I had at my disposal.  I used two pieces of fabric because the fabric was much thinner than recommended - they were dampened and inked up in layers with Distress Inks (crushed olive, wild honey, fired brick, brushed corduroy, vintage photo) until I was happy with the dried colour.  I randomly stamped a mish mash of images with black archival ink.

I embroidered around the hearts which I stamped near the outside edge with DMC thread.  To make the pages, I used old book paper, vellum, water colour paper, tags, and cut a Tim Holtz ticket strip as well.  Some of these I embossed and/or coloured, and then sewed in randomly (ok, not really - I laid them out to make sure they would all fit and look pleasing to the eye) to the inside fabric.

The front and back pieces were stitched together, as well as stitching a piece of wire in to wrap the scroll around.  A piece of ribbon attached to the opposite end holds the rolled up Pocket Scroll intact.

In the end, I didn't use the journal while we were away, though I did take it with me.  It returned in just the same condition as it left in, even though it was tossed around in my handbag for a week.  Maybe I will use it on our next holiday!

Fiona
xx

6 comments:

studioGypsy said...

fiona! your journal is really beautiful! i love how you created it! thanks so much for sharing!! :) ~Leilani

Julie Ranae said...

Really beautiful work indeed....

Pauline said...

I had not heard of a pocket scroll before, it's such a lovely keepsake, and a real labour of love xx

Sarah Anderson said...

this is so gorgeous; I especially love the cover fabric you've chosen! I admired this in CPS too but don't know if I'll ever get around to making one lol

Be(e) said...

Fabulous piece, Fiona!!! I absolutely love how this turned out, what an amazing piece of inspiration!!

Marcy said...

happy new year Fee just thought Id come for a wander through very pretty box! You do your cafe challenges so well no wonder they snappled you up for their DT congratulation! :)