Friday, February 25, 2011

Etsy Inspired Challenge #127 - Claylicious

I can't believe how many weeks have slid by since I last played along at Etsy Inspired Challenge.  I love trying to do some arty things with this challenge - I don't know why - I think it is because I am inspired so by the Etsy artists that are being featured.

Without further ado, this weeks Etsy Inspired Challenge is featuring the Etsy shop Claylicious - yep you guessed it, this etsy shop is all about clay!  This is the awesome piece of art that I was inspired by this week...


My eldest brother is turning 50 soon, and there is a long standing banter between us with him being the eldest and myself being the youngest.  I knew I wanted to do something with a real wow to mark this occasion, and poking a little fun along the way was inevitable.


The inspiration picture from Claylicious inspired me to write my own little words of wisdom for my eldest brother :) I used Fimo to mould little squares in a terracotta colour.  As I went, I used the Darkroom Door 'Alphabet Medley' stamp set to squish letters into each square as needed.


Once baked, they were painted with a few coats of acrylic paints and allowed to dry.  Then I went over them with black paint, painting the letters carefully, and smoothing out and removing excess black paint.  Once this had dried, I varnished them with mod podge and attached them to some black cardstock.  You might be able to see that I stamped little coloured squares on the inside to match the front.


I have spent ages on this card, and had an absolute ball doing it!  I think it was a bit therapeutic playing with clay this week!  I'd love to know what you think of my 'artsy' card.  The message reads (just in case you can't make it out) "forty nine plus one makes fifty years of happy birthday"

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Fiona
xx

12 comments:

Ruby said...

WOW, WOW, WOW Fee! Absolutely FAB!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it as Sav would say!!! You are just SO clever! The wording you've done is so fun too! GREAT job! Thanks for playing with us at EIC this week!! I'm really enjoying seeing what you come up with each week!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic Fiona, I am sure your older brother will love it
Love Mum xx

de said...

OMG this is SO amazing! I love what you did with the clay! Love how you were inspired! Amazing!


Thanks for playing EtsyInspired this week!

Jackie said...

Wowzers! What an amazing project & oh so very creative!!! Thanks so much for playing with Etsy this week!!!

Michele Gross said...

Oh Fee! This is off the hook fabulous! Your brother is going to love it!! Must have taken ages to work on!!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

Are you kidding me? THIS IS SOOOOOOOO CUTE! How did you do it? I am just in awe that I haven't read your post yet--this card matches those inspiration pieces PERFECTLY! LOVE LOVE LOVE! Thanks for joining in the fun and playing along with us over at EIC!! LOVE IT!

Pauline said...

This is amazing, it must have taken you hours!! But for a special bro with a special birthday it's fabulous!!

Mim said...

This is so cool, Fiona! Reminds me of that game called Boggle that we used to play as kids. The range of colours you have used is really inspiring - and it just oozes the fun that you had playing with making the tiles. It would look fab in a frame, to bring a little bit of happy to every day!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Fee, this is absolutely AMAZING! You have wowed me with this, and probably plenty of other folks, too.

Libby Hickson said...

Oh my gosh Fee, this is completely amazing!!!! I love it soooooooo much!!

Tracey said...

ABSOLUTELY the COOLEST card I have EVER SEEN!!!!!!! LOVE it Fee!!!!!

Julie Ranae said...

Fiona...this is OUTRAGEOUSLY COOL!!! Absolutely love it!