Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Play Date Cafe #79

Well hello again, it is time for another colour challenge at The Play Date Cafe!  This week Sarah Anderson has brought us some homely warmth in our inspiration picture....



We are sponsored this week by Hero Arts who are offering a $25 shopping spree for the winner, and I have been fortunate to work with the fabulously frivolous "Birds & Branches" set.


I have created this dimensional sideways opening card, with paper piecing and glue dots.  The papers are a mixture from Scribble Scrabble 'bric-a-brac' and 'nanas trunk', Making Memories 'mistletoe', Kaiser 'After 5 collection', and Bazzill cream cardstock.  The were layered and distressed, the edges lightly inked in pumice stone.


The seam binding was coloured with shabby shutters distress ink to match the green, and a few ribbon scraps to tie the other colours in.  The centre picture panel was raised on 3D tape for extra dimension.  All stamping was done with black archival ink, and the stems of the flowers were dotted with a green Zebra Sarasa pen.  You can see in the shadows the inside has been decorated to match the front.

Our design team has been hard at work this week with some wonderful projects for you.....



Our guest designer this week is the wonderful Kelly Rasmussen, and I'm sure you will want to check out her blog to see what she has come up with to inspire you.

Fiona
xx

18 comments:

shirley said...

Adorable card Fee. Love the stamps.
I like how you also stamped inside the card.

Jenxo said...

gorgeous card fi, great color scheme to work with too...

Jaclyn Miller said...

Hi Fee - your card is so fun and quirky this week. LOVE that you died your seam binding to match and LOVE that it has a creative way to open too. :)

Jinny Newlin said...

This is so fun, Fiona! LOVE your stitched frame and the way you've layered our color story right into your ribbon! Yummy!

Michele Gross said...

Fee, this card is so fun! Love the fun paper piecing and you really rocked the colors!!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

I LOOOOOOVE this card, Fee! That stamp set was one of my picks! SOOOOO in love with how you used it! LOVE that green/yellow ribbon too--matches the challenge perfectly!! YOU always amaze me!!!!!!

THANKS so much, Fee, for your recent emails and comments! You made me smile! You ROCK:) HUGS!!!

Ruby said...

When I saw this card in the gallery my jaw dropped. It's stunning and definitely my fave of yours to date. Gorgeous! (my friend agrees too, she wants to CASE it!!!) Tinks has this set so she will be having a go too. FAB!

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Your artwork is great! Beautifully created.

Julie Ranae said...

This is such a fun and whimsical look Fee! I really love how you incorporated the colors in this design!

Basement Stamper said...

I am in love with this card, I love those birds and your overall design is just perfect!

Tracey said...

I so LOVE how you have used this set Fee!!! SO ADORABLE and so spot on with this weeks PDCC colours!!

Maria said...

What a sweet card! Just love that bird...way too cute!!! Great stitching and great way to match ribbon with ink. A very creative card...love it!!!

Andrea Ewen said...

Purely delightful, Fee! Super sweet birdies and I love that great ribbon as an accent! Fab job with the colors, too!

Patrice said...

Luv that bird!

Sue Smith said...

I love all the images you've used here and the stitching is a wonderful, textural element! Great work!!!

Holly said...

This stamp set is so cool!

Marlena M. said...

Very cool and unique card!

Shirley said...

This is outstanding!! I love your colors and your layout! The layers are right up my alley too!