Friday, August 10, 2012

August Calendar - a little bit vintage

Well I haven't got around to any more art journal pages.  It's been a couple of weeks of sickness here, as well as trying to reorganise my stamp stash - that is one big job!

But I do have my August Calendar page to show.  I was inspired to go vintage this month.  I began with layers of book paper, and applied a paint wash over it. I love how the book paper went a bit wrinkly in there.  I roughed up the edges as well and added some distress inks and stamps to the edges to help frame with that vintage feel.


Hubby gave me some water colour paints a few months ago for my birthday in a convenient little stacker so I can take them with me when we go on holidays, but I used them on the butterflies here, and I love how they turned out!


 I combined a bunch of stamps and inks to give me doilies, and hanging decorations for the month title.


I'm really happy with how this one turned out.  I am playing along with Kate Crane's monthly calendar journal page. 

I am entering this calendar page into the Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge this week where the theme is paint.  I figured I used a paint wash on the background, and water colour paints for the butterflies - so why not?

Thanks for visiting :)

Fiona
x

Supplies:

old book paper
gesso
acrylic paints
distress ink - tumbled glass, pumice stone, frayed burlap, walnut stain
faber castell pitt pen - brown
water colour paints
kaiser papers - Cafe Culture 'latte'
MME papers - Bella Bella French Flea Market 'floraleque'

Stamps Used:

basic gray 'flourish edges'
kaiser 'tea at elsie's'
wplus9 'flora & fauna'
kaiser 'silly season'
darkroom door 'alphabet medley'
kimberley poloson 'flourishes'

5 comments:

Lynn said...

It looks great, the colours look just like our August - bit bleak:)

Cath said...

I love this calendar, Fiona! Sometimes I wish I had more time to create fun things like this! :)

Terry said...

Hey there Fiona, I really like your calender, love the colors and the images that you have used, thank you for sharing with the DT from Simon Says Stamp and Show, hugs terry xxxx

Judy Bigg said...

Beautiful work on your calendar.

Janique de Suisse said...

I just love the vintage look of your calendar pages !! Soooo beautiful !